Skip to content
- Symons, Jennifer E., Hawkins, David A., Fyhrie, David P., Upadhyaya, Shrinivasa K., Stover, Susan M., Hitting the ground running, Part I: Evaluating an integrated racehorse limb and race surface computational model, Journal of Biomechanics, Journal of Biomechanics 49 (2016) 1711–1717. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2016.03.057.
- Starkel CD, Hawkins DA and Ashuckian ED. Temporal Response of Anterior Knee Laxity Following Strenuous Exercise. Austin J Biomed Eng. 2016; 3(1): 1034.
- Coolbaugh CL, Raymond Jr SC, Hawkins DA Feasibility of a Dynamic Web Guidance Approach for Personalized Physical Activity Prescription Based on Daily Information From Wearable Technology. JMIR Res Protoc 2015;4(2):e67. http://www.researchprotocols.org/2015/2/e67/. doi:10.2196/resprot.3966.
- Symons, Jennifer E., Fyhrie, David P., Hawkins, David A., Upadhyaya, Shrinivasa K., Stover, Susan M., Modeling equine race surface vertical mechanical behaviors in a musculoskeletal modeling environment, Journal of Biomechanics, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2015.01.006.
- Coolbaugh, C.L. and Hawkins, D. (2014) Standardizing Accelerometer-Based Activity Monitor Calibration and Output Reporting. Journal of Applied Biomechanics.Aug;30(4):594-7. doi: 10.1123/jab.2013-0240. Epub 2014 Jun 30.
- Coolbaugh CL, Anderson IB, Wilson MD, Hawkins DH, Amsterdam EA (2014) Evaluation of an Exercise Field Test Using Heart Rate Monitors to Assess Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Heart Rate Recovery in an Asymptomatic Population. PLoS ONE 9(5): e97704. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0097704
- Hawkins, D (2014) Biomechanics, Training & Injury Prevention: Considerations for the Taekwondo Youth Athlete. Journal of the International Association of Taekwondo Research 1(1):1-2.
- Neugebauer J.M., Collins KH, and Hawkins D.A. (2014) Ground Reaction Force Estimates from ActiGraph GT3X+ Hip Accelerations. PLoS ONE 9(6); e99023. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0099023
- Neugebauer J.M. and Hawkins D.A. Estimating ground reaction forces during locomotion in youth 10-14 years of age using an activity monitor. PLoS ONE, October, 2012.
- Neugebauer J.M. and Hawkins D.A. Identifying factors related to Achilles tendon stress, strain, and stiffness before and after 6 months of growth in youth 10-14 years of age. Journal of Biomechanics, 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2012.06.027.Aug6, 2012.
- Clark T. and Hawkins D. Are Fixed Limb Inertial Models Valid for Dynamic Simulations of Human Movement? Journal of Biomechanics, 43(14): 2695-2701,2010.
- Myers C. and Hawkins D. Alterations to Movement Mechanics Can Greatly Reduce Anterior Cruciate Ligament Loading Without Reducing Performance. Journal of Biomechanics. 43(14):2657-2664, 2010.
- Hawkins D., Lum C., Gaydos D., Dunning R. Dynamic creep and pre-conditioning of the Achilles tendon in-vivo. Journal of Biomechanics, 42(16): 2813-2817, 2009.
- Urlando A. and Hawkins D. Achilles Tendon Adaptation During Strength Training in Young Adults. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 39(7): 1147-1152, 2007.
- Burry M., Hawkins, D. and Spangenburg, E. Lengthening contractions differentially affect p70(s6k) phosphorylation compared to isometric contractions in rat skeletal muscle, European Journal of Applied Physiology. 100(4):409-415, 2007.
- Koehler C.L., Stover S.M., LeCouteur R.A., Schulz K.S., and Hawkins, D.A. Effect of ventral slot procedure and of smooth or positive-profile threaded pins with polymethylmethacrylate fixation on intervertebral biomechanics at treated and adjacent canine cervical vertebral motion units. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 66(4):678-687, 2005.
- Nevens A. L., Stover S., Hawkins D. Evaluation of the passive function of the biceps brachii muscle-tendon unit in limitation of shoulder and elbow joint ranges of motion in horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 66(3):391-400, 2005.
- Swanstrom M.D., Zarucco L., Hubbard M., Stover S.M, Hawkins D.A. Musculoskeletal modeling and dynamic simulation of the Thoroughbred equine forelimb during the stance phase of the gallop. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 127:318-328, 2005.
- Swanstrom M.D., Zarucco L., Stover S.M., Hubbard M., Hawkins D., Driessen B., and Steffey E.P. Passive and Active Mechanical Properties of the Superficial and Deep Digital Flexor Muscles in the Forelimbs of Anethetized Thoroughbred Horses. Journal of Biomechanics. 38(3): 579-586, 2005.
- Dellanini L., Hawkins D., Martin R.B., and Stover S. The effects of changing bone and muscle size on limb inertial properties and limb dynamics: a computer simulation. Computer Methods in Biomechincs and Biomedical Engineering. Jun 7(3):167-176, 2004.
- Baudouin A. and Hawkins D. Investigation of biomechanical factors affecting rowing performance. Journal of Biomechanics. 37:969-976, 2004.
- Swanstrom M.D., Stover S.M., Hubbard M., and Hawkins D.A. Determination of passive mechanical properties of the superficial and deep digital flexor muscle-ligament-tendon complexes in the forelimbs of horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 65(2):188-197, 2004.
- Nielsen C., Stover S., Schulz K, Hubbard M., and Hawkins D.A. Two-Dimensional Link-Segment Model of the Canine Forelimb at the Walking Gait. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 64(5):609-617, 2003.
- Zarucco L., Swanstrom M., Driessen B, Stover S., Hubbard M., Hawkins D., Steffy, E. An in vivo equine forelimb model for short-term recording of peak isometric force in the superficial and deep digital flexor muscles. Veterinary Surgery 32:439-450, 2003.
- Page P.N. and Hawkins D.A. A Real-Time Biomechanical Feedback System for Training Rowers. Sports Engineering.6(2):67-79, 2003.
- Dellanini L., Hawkins D., Martin R.B., and Stover S. An Investigation of the Interactions Between Lower Limb Bone Morphology, Limb Inertial Properties and Limb Dynamics. Journal of Biomechanics. 36:913-919, 2003.
- Baudouin A. and Hawkins D. A Biomechanical Review of Factors Affecting Rowing Performance. British Journal of Sports Medicine. Dec;36(6):396-402, 2002.
- Hawkins D, and Metheny J. Overuse injuries in youth sports: Biomechanical considerations. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exericse. 33(10):1701-1707, 2001.
- Hawkins D, and Barr A. A computational approach for simulating muscle morphologic changes in musculoskeletal modeling. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. 4/5:399-411, 2001.
- Barr A. and Hawkins D. An anatomical database providing three-dimensional geometric representation of lower limb structures. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 16: 301-308, 2000.
- Hawkins D. A new instrumentation system for training rowers. Journal of Biomechanics. 33(2):241-246, 2000.
- Hawkins D. and Smeulders M. An investigation of the relationship between hip extension torque, hip extension velocity, and muscle activation. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 15(3):253-269, 1999.
- Hawkins D. and Smeulders M. Relationship between knee joint torque, velocity, and muscle activation: Considerations for musculoskeletal modeling. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 14(2):141-157, 1998.
- Hawkins D. and Molé P.A. Modeling energy expenditure associated with isometric, concentric, and eccentric muscle action at the knee. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 25(6):822-830, 1997.
- Hawkins D. Muscle-Tendon force enhancement during a stretch shortening cycle: The role of cross-bridge force potentiation. Biology of Sport. 14(3):227-236, 1997.
- Hawkins D. and Bey M.J. Muscle and tendon force-length properties and their interactions in-vivo. Journal of Biomechanics. 30(1):63-70, 1997.
- Hull M.L., Brewer R., Hawkins D. A new force plate design incorporating octagonal strain rings. Journal of Applied Biomechanics: 11:311-321, 1995.
- Hawkins D. and Bey M.J. A comprehensive approach for studying muscle-tendon mechanics. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 116(1):51-55, 1994.
- Hawkins D. A modeling and computer simulation approach to determine optimal lower extremity joint angular velocities based on a criterion to maximize muscle power. Computers Methods and Programs in Biomedicine. 42:213-222, 1994.
- Hawkins D. and Hull M.L. Muscle force as affected by fatigue: mathematical model and experimental verification. The Journal of Biomechanics. 26(9):1117-1128, 1993.
- Hawkins D. and Hull M.L. An activation recruitment scheme for use in muscle modeling. Journal of Biomechanics. 25(12):1467-1476, 1992.
- Ruby P., Hull M.L., and Hawkins D. Three-dimensional knee joint loading during seated cycling. Journal of Biomechanics, 25(1):41-54, 1992.
- Hawkins D. Software for determining lower extremity muscle-tendon kinematics and moment arm lengths during flexion/extension movements. Computers in Biology and Medicine, 22(1/2):59-72, 1992.
- Hawkins D. and Hull M.L. A computer simulation approach for studying muscle-tendon mechanics. Computers in Biology and Medicine, 21(6):369-382, 1991.
- Hawkins D. and Hull M.L. A method for determining lower extremity muscle-tendon lengths during activities involving flexion/extension movements. Journal of Biomechanics, 23(5):487-494, 1990.
- Woo S.L-Y., Weiss J.A., Gomez M.A., and Hawkins D.A. Measurement of changes in ligament tension with knee motion and skeletal maturation. Journal of Biomedical Engineering, 112:46-51, 1990.